[Live-demo] Using OSGeo hosting platform for developingArramagong/LiveDVD/GISVM

Gavin Treadgold gt at kestrel.co.nz
Sun Nov 1 15:20:06 EST 2009

Hi Bob,

This is exactly the reason I signed up to the list too.

I'm a board member for the Sahana Software Foundation, as our project
Sahana (a free and open source emergency management information
system) is a perfect candidate to be deployed on top of a geospatial
stack. We have had some issues with users deploying our web app
(currently php and mysql) and as we more tightly integrate things
geospatial, we want to be able to provide a working distro with full
geospatial stack as both a livedisc and VMs. On top of that, we may
also go down the path of creating country or region specific
distributions that are bundled with geospatial data suitable for
emergency management. We support MapServer integration, have also been
using GeoRSS to aggregate spatial data from other sources, are looking
at using tilecache for caching maps tiles, and our main access to
geospatial data is via OpenLayers. But we want to provide a single box
installation that includes not only Sahana but also a full working
FOSS mapping stack.

So, we are very interested in getting Sahana working on the livedisc,
and if there is a commitment to maintain it and update it, I could
certainly see us adopting it. In the meantime, we need first to tweak
Sahana to install on Postgres ;)

I'd be interested to see if this is a use case you'd be willing to
support us with, and likewise we may be able to get some of our
(currently few) geospatial folks to help out in return.

Cheers Gavin

http://sahana.lk/ (this will have to do until we get our new
Foundation website up)

PS would have loved to attended FOSS4G, but ended up going to the
Crisis Mapping conference in Cleveland instead - a bit disappointing
since I'm based in Christchurch, NZ, such a short flight away :)