[Live-demo] Updating the software

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Sun Nov 29 17:14:57 EST 2009

Hamish wrote:
> Firman Hadi wrote:
>> I have downloaded the LiveDVD and installed it
>> as Virtual Machine using VMWare.
>> I want to install another package, gftp, so I have to
>> 'apt-get update' but there is an error
>> reaching http://mirror.math.ucdavis.edu, which is
>> written in /etc/apt/sources.list
>> I did remove the site from the sources list, added another
>> server to the sources list and managed to install gftp.
>
> that's fine, any standard debian mirror will do.
> UC Davis was used simply because that's where our ISO builder is
> near and the ISO takes hours to build so we wanted something fast...
>
> have fun,
> Hamish

That is correct, any ubuntu mirror will work. If you open the Synaptic
Package manager (System->Administration->Synaptic Package Manager)
and go to the Settings -> Repositories, then select "Other from the drop
down list there's actually a button to automatically find the best
server for your location based on ping times. I highly recommend using
this to find the closest mirror to you.

Alex

PS: I'll email the system administrators to find out why the ucdavis
mirror went down, thanks for reporting.