[Live-demo] 2.0.3 testing

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at lisasoft.com
Thu Oct 1 17:09:37 EDT 2009

Hamish wrote:
> Cameron  wrote:
>
>> Hamish, I think this is a good idea,
>> in particular being able to create a freeze of a build
>> scripts so that it can be reproduced later.
>>
>> I suggest going one step further.
>> Our build process starts by downloading everything from
>> livedvd/gisvm/trunk/
>>

> the only change you would have to make is to replace trunk/ with
> $VERSION/.

I suggest not using either "trunk/" or "$VERSION" in the scripts. During
development, people will want to run the build scripts without creating
a release tag first.

>> and get we use wget to get files out of svn during the build process.
>>

> right.
>

>> What I suggest is that we:
>> 1. Instead of sourcing files by "wget -c http://svn.osgeo.org/livedvd/gisvm/trunk/dir/file" we
>> should source the file from the version we have already
>> downloaded which is currently at:
>> "~/gisvm/trunk/bin/../dir/file".  We can rename the
>> gisvm svn directory so that it is one below trunk, which
>> will make scripts easier to run.
>>

> I'm not sure if you mean rename the top dir in svn (I'm not a huge fan of
> that)
-1 No.
> or to save the copy locally at /usr/local/share/gisvm/[bin|doc|...]
> instead of /usr/local/share/gisvm/trunk/[bin|doc|...] (I'm a big fan of
> that idea)

+1 Yes.
> none the less, for this release/tag it is now history and my main
> intention is to archive that, warts and all.

+1 Agreed.
> after tagging 2.0.3, sure go for it in the release branch. but we
> shouldn't start rewriting history any more than necessary in the mean
> time.

+1

>> I suggest that we start making use of the tags directory.
>> So that I can check out the 2.0.3. At times it is important
>> to distinguish between 2.0.3 and 2.0.4 if there are users
>> for both version.
>>

> yup, that's exactly the idea.
>

>> This is more important than using the branch directory. In fact, I
>> suspect that we will avoid the need to use the branch directory for
>> the most part, unless we decide to create an "unstable" build list
>> and a "stable" build list.
>>

> The release branch is needed & useeful, really 2.0.4 should come from
> that not trunk. Otherwise you tend lock up & hold back trunk for any new
> development which necessarily requires divergence and breaking with the
> old ways. It doesn't really cost nuthin to have it but leaves some doors
> open if we need them.
>
> Anyway, the trunk/release branch/tag model is used as standard practice
> everywhere Subversion is used, and is similar in theory as to how CVS
> worked things before it. I can't really comment on what Bzr, Git, and
> Mercurial do to manage these things.

Yes, I agree with all this in the general sense, and only have a minor
suggestion on semantics.
Namely, I suggest the process should be:
* work on trunk
* create release
* copy release to tags/<release>
* keep working on trunk
* If and only if there is a need to patch a release, then create a
branch, by copying the release that you have been working on.

But I'm not too fussed, and what you are suggesting works too. (It is
just a little more effort at the start keeping trunk synced with the
branch).