[Live-demo] A folder for beta software

Juan Lucas Domínguez Rubio juan_lucas_dr at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 3 19:37:02 EST 2010

--- On Wed, 2/3/10, Cameron Shorter <cameron.shorter at lisasoft.com> wrote:

> From: Cameron Shorter <cameron.shorter at lisasoft.com>
> Subject: Re: [Live-demo] A folder for beta software
> To: "Juan Lucas Domínguez Rubio" <juan_lucas_dr at yahoo.com>
> Cc: "live-demo at lists.osgeo.org" <live-demo at lists.osgeo.org>, "Hamish" <hamish_b at yahoo.com>
> Date: Wednesday, February 3, 2010, 3:56 AM
> Some answers/history below:
>
> In prior releases, we didn't have a place to store beta
> software, so we
> are taking your lead regarding how we should set this up.
>
> On 3/02/2010 10:30 AM, Juan Lucas Domínguez Rubio wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > FYI, I have noticed three remarkable things regarding
> install_kosmo_2beta.sh :
> >
> > - it's not called from main.sh
> >
> Because it is beta software.
> > - it prompts the user for input (read USER_NAME)
> > - it's a beta version but adds an icon to the desktop
> >
> Probably because it is is a copy of the stable version of
> the script?
>
> > I'm currently preparing a simple way to automatically
> add start icons to a submenu called 'Geospatial Beta
> software'.
> >
> Great.
> > Regards,
> > Juan Lucas
> >

> --
> Cameron Shorter
> Geospatial Solutions Manager
> Tel: +61 (0)2 8570 5050
> Mob: +61 (0)419 142 254
>
> Think Globally, Fix Locally
> Geospatial Solutions enhanced with Open Standards and Open
> Source
> http://www.lisasoft.com

Hello, I have uploaded these changes :

- removed the reference to ugvsigmobile.sh from main.sh because it's a beta package.

- added a new script ./install_beta_and_submenu.sh (currently not invoked) that deals with beta packages. This script could be called from main.sh, for example inside the enumeration just before ./install_desktop.sh

- Comments in ./install_beta_and_submenu.sh explain the simple steps to have a beta package installed and added to the new submenu. I have created a new folder ./beta_software to contain beta software scripts (now only the one for ugvsigmobile) and other files. I can see there were no folders there, I hope this is not a problem for the creation process.

So someone should do this:

- check that ./install_beta_and_submenu.sh makes sense

- add a call to ./install_beta_and_submenu.sh from the right place

- for each new beta package, follow the instructions in ./install_beta_and_submenu.sh

I have tested this locally on a Xubuntu 9.10 live CD and worked fine.

Regards,
Juan Lucas