[Live-demo] geopublisher sucking in openoffice? & missing project descriptions

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at lisasoft.com
Thu Feb 4 17:29:00 EST 2010

I agree with Alex:
* If we have a major use case which requires OO (like supporting .dbf or a
number of packaged applications) then we should include Open Office.

* I also agree that that for something as central as Open Office, we should
only package the Ubuntu standard version (possibly with standard extensions)

On Fri, Feb 5, 2010 at 3:50 AM, Alex Mandel <tech_dev at wildintellect.com>wrote:

> listas wrote:
> > Hi Alex, let me just a few things about Kosmo Advanced Printing:
> >
> > A screenshot wouldn't make sense always on a map. Maps need to be
> > printed at a very high resolution that a screenshot surely don't have.
> > It's not only a question of image quality, also about size ratios.
> > Depending on the size of the document  you need elements at different
> > sizes or resolution. Respecting the scale of a map is a fundamental
> > thing. A map without an exact scale is not a map, its just a draw. You
> > surely don't comply those requirements pasting a screenshot.
> >
> > On the other hand not only images are sent to the OOo document but
> > graphical and textual elements that may be part of the map like
> > descriptions on how the map is represented, legends, titles and other
> > things. Those elements must be sent to the OOo Draw document because
> > it's too hard work to do it manually.
> >
> > Kosmo also manage multiple/complex views, legends, details, scales, etc
> > ... with OOo.  OOo is far better in printing than anything we could
> > develop inside Kosmo.
> >
> > It is neccesary OOo oficial version.  In different linux flavours there
> > are substantial differences and sometimes there is missing neccesary
> files.
> >
> > If possible, it is very important for Kosmo (and I think/hope for users
> > :) ) OOo oficial version.
> >
> > Best regards
> >
> > Antonio
>
> I was curious to see screenshot of what it looks like, I'm well aware of
> the other issues.
>
> So it's kind of like a reporting tool and map layout.
>
> I doubt we will ever use an OpenOffice that isn't directly from the Repo
> on the live disc so it will depend on the base image(Which is likely
> going to be Ubuntu or Debian for the near future). From my perspective
> as an Ubuntu user personally (Which is the most popular desktop distro
> of the last several years) it would be great if you could talk with
> Ubuntu about getting what you need back into OOo or modifying the code
> to not need it.
>
> Thanks,
> Alex

Geospatial Systems Architect