[Live-demo] OSGeo Live v3 Build 5

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Sat Feb 6 03:10:39 EST 2010

 > Logs are posted
> http://download.osgeo.org/livedvd/3.0-alpha5/
>
> Depending on how well this one went I'll either post the vm for hands on
> testing or run a new one in 2 days and post that one.
>
> Thanks,
> Alex

Hmm, so overall the logs looked pretty good on this last build. A slight
mixup in that postgres got renamed as a file but not in the main.sh so
it didn't run and pgrouting didn't either because postgis was
missing.(Fixed)

www.opengis.es doesn't seem to be up and running should we mirror the
Kosmo file to another server or was this just an unusual hiccup?

The other really odd one, is that a bunch of R packages failed to build
because gfortran was missing. I added it explicitly to install_R now
which I think will fix it but it worked fine in Alpha 4 so I'm wondering
which other script pulled the rug out.(Fixed I think)

Maybe we need a better policy about apt-get autoremove, should we be
doing it and the end of every script and ensuring all requirements are
in each script. On the 1st I would say no, because they we get double
downloads (unless it's still in the cache) but on the 2nd idea it's
probably the smartest to make these more reusable as individual scripts.
My vote, if you need compile tools explicitly list them in your package,
however we should move apt-get autoremove to the very end setdown and no
t in any other scripts.

Besides those issues, stability is on my mind. Vmware while I've found
ways to finally get to the desktop, it's not 100% and it happens every
boot. Virtualbox seems to handle things better, I think because it still
defaults to 800x600 where as vmware seems to be resizing to your local
screen. However I haven't gotten 100% boot on Virtualbox, 30% of boots
just hang, in random places. I'll try making a DVD next week to see if
that suffers at all from this vm oddities.

More to come later about choosing languages and why xfce4-panel vanished
on me after switching languages.

Thanks,
Alex