[Live-demo] Dist-upgrade

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 11 21:24:27 EST 2010

Alex wrote:
> More in general in setup.sh shouldn't we use apt-get
> dist-upgrade instead of just upgrade to play it safe?

don't you mean "apt-get safe-upgrade"  ??

dist-upgrade is used to update from 9.10 to 10.04 once it is released. and this generally requires a bit of handholding and
care so should not be done automatically.

if you need dist-upgrade it indicates that something is broken
or not fully upgraded from e.g. 8.10 if your setup.

if ubuntu is releasing in-distrib security updates which require
dist-upgrade to work, well fooey on them.

?,
Hamish