[Live-demo] sample OSM data for Gosmore

Dane Springmeyer blake at hailmail.net
Tue Mar 2 02:28:32 EST 2010

Hey Hamish,

Yes this is a very good idea. Having a sample .osm file around will
benefit many applications. In addition to the ones you note QGIS and
Mapnik can also render .osm directly.

Makes sense to meet to grab Barcelona, which can be as easy as:

$ wget -O barcelona.osm http://osmxapi.hypercube.telascience.org/api/0.6/map?bbox=1.998653,41.307213,2.343693,41.495207

We should also push the .osm file into postgis/postgres with osm2pgsql.

$ createdb -T template_postgis osm_barcelona
$ osm2pgsql -d osm_barcelona barcelona.osm

Downloading from the osmxapi takes about 6 minutes and is around 20MB.
I've reposted here:

http://dbsgeo.com/tmp/barcelona.osm

... so you can access quicker.

Iván can be contacted at: ivan -a- sanchezortega.es.

Dane