[Live-demo] version 3.0-rc2

Judit Mays mays at lat-lon.de
Wed Mar 3 04:52:49 EST 2010

Hi all,
I have only just looked at the current 3.0-rc2 in my virtual box today.

* One thing I noticed was the missing terminal icon in the tool bar. It
was there in 2.0, wasn't it?  Should it be added (again)?

* Will the pending software updates be included in the final release?
Currently xubuntu calls for 55 updates.

* One other thing:
the "included software" on the HELP page (from
file:///usr/local/share/livedvd-docs/index.html) seems to be a bit
chaotic. I would propose to either sort the packages alphabetically, or
sort them with regard to content (services, tools, ..., using the same
groups as within the "Applications" grouping).

I think sorting of some sorts is really important to people new to the
DVD and the OSGeo world. Someone looking at this list, with GeoServer
right up front, deegree somewhere in the middle and MapServer even
further down the line, will that person be able to figure that these
apps are offering similar things? So sorting on content seems to be a
good idea.

On the other hand, since the applications grouping will not give a good
overview of what is available altogether, the index.html might better be
sorted alphabetically.

Either way, IMHO, having the list unsorted should be avoided.

What do you think?

Once a decision is formed, I would volunteer to change the sorting, if
someone pointed me to the right location.

Greetings,
Judit