[Live-demo] Add all installed application to the menu at the top of the desktop.

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 7 17:38:33 EST 2010

Juan Lucas Domínguez Rubio wrote:
> Hello, the log for rc3 has some ugly messages regarding the
> creation of new items in the top panel.
>
> I think there is a little bug at the end of
> install_desktop.sh.

I had missed the GeoKettle desktop icon, and the wildcard move
to subfolders failed; these should be fixed now. (I hope)

> I am using a Xubuntu 9.10 live CD to test that our .sh
> scripts work. After fixing the previous problem, some things
> are working:
> _BUT_ I have not seen the top panel updated. Even though
> the file panels.xml is actually updated, this seems to have
> no effect.

right, I should have made the menu entires before moving away
the desktop icons (d'oh). now fixed in svn. (I hope)

> If you right click on the top panel, it lets you customize
> it by adding new shortcuts, but it does not look very
> flexible,

it's possible to do by clicking, but it is not very obvious.

To add the new menu right click on the taskbar and +Add
a new item. Scroll down to new Xfce menu (mouse icon) and
add that. Once added right click on the new menu, change its
name and icon, and select the "custom menu" radio button.
In the file browser pick /usr/local/share/xfce/xfce-osgeo.menu.

> and surprisingly, the changes are not reflected in
> the file panels.xml, so I don't know where the structure of
> that panel is actually stored.

I only changed the skeleton files from which new panels are
made. if the user account already exists and the user has
already started xfce before the change, their local copy will
not be updated. So currently only has an effect on new accounts.

(Due to one of the above bugs the menu was probably 90% empty
this round)

find the installed user copy with:
  find ~/.config -name panel.xml

If doing it by hand, you'll have to copy over the new
xfce4-menu-360.rc and other new *.rc files too.

TODO: check if it's already installed before reinstalling, and
operate on the user's copy if it exists but hasn't been done yet.

Hamish