[Live-demo] new apps for 4.0

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Thu Mar 25 15:45:55 EDT 2010

Hamish wrote:
> Alex:
>
>>> I'd like to formally invite all projects that are on the Live* to
>>> become at minimum OSGeo Labs projects to encourage their participation
>>> in OSGeo and make a soft rule that being an OSGeo Project, Incubation
>>> Project or Labs project is the only way to guarantee a spot on the
>>> disc (note becoming a labs project is really easy).
>>>
>>> Now that we've reached our current size we can't just keep adding, as
>>> it won't fit on common media beyond what we've got and there needs to
>>> be some way to pick, filter, and trim.
>>>

> I have updated the  http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Live_GIS_Build  wiki page
> a bit to better describe our packaging priorities (official osgeo projects
> get first chance at slots, bloaty things risk being left out, etc.).

Hamish, I like what you have written. I'll have a go at reorganising the
headings so that the order is more logical from a "New Project" reader
point of view. (Starting with "Does my project quality")

I think we can put a stronger emphasis on "project responsiblities".
  "As a project, you will need to do the following, if you wish your
project to remain on the DVD:..."

I actually think we should split the Build wiki into 2:
* Writing a Build Script
* Running all the Builds

But I'll leave that split for a bit first
> At some point we should try an do a more formal analysis of how much
> (compressed) space each package is using on the disc to get a better
> idea of what the hogs are. I'm quite confident that I can find ~ 500mb
> (uncompressed) to remove in a crunch. There's a bunch of low hanging
> fruit we haven't touched yet.
>
> To start with it would be good to make a wiki page with a list of the
> included datasets (and their sizes).

I'd prefer to include information this in a google doc spreadsheet,
probably the same one we store the list of packages.
Spreadsheets are so much easy to manipulate and insert formlas in than
wiki tables.