[Live-demo] DHCP

Juan Lucas Domínguez Rubio juan_lucas_dr at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 28 08:27:24 EDT 2010

--- On Sat, 3/27/10, Alex Mandel <tech_dev at wildintellect.com> wrote:

> From: Alex Mandel <tech_dev at wildintellect.com>
> Subject: Re: [Live-demo] DHCP
> To: live-demo at lists.osgeo.org
> Date: Saturday, March 27, 2010, 6:06 PM
> On 03/27/2010 09:46 AM, Juan Lucas
> Domínguez Rubio wrote:
> > --- On Sat, 3/27/10, maplabs at light42.com
> <maplabs at light42.com>
> wrote:
> >
> >> From: maplabs at light42.com
> <maplabs at light42.com>
> >> Subject: [Live-demo] DHCP
> >> To: live-demo at lists.osgeo.org
> >> Date: Saturday, March 27, 2010, 5:22 PM
> >> fyi-
> >>
> >>   I burned a Final DVD image and
> booted it on a PC in our
> >> lab area..
> >> it didn't find DHCP on its own, so the browser
> couldnt get
> >> out on the net...
> >>
> >>  also the home page of Firefox was probably
> not the one we
> >> want..
> >>
> >>   -Brian
> >>
> >> ==
> >> Brian Hamlin
> >> planetwork.net
> >> OSGeo California Chapter
> >> (415) 717-4462 cell
> >
> > Hello, Brian.
> >
> > I had a similar problem. The 'official' Xubuntu 9.10
> live CD does detect my router automatically, but the latest
> version of the Arramagong ISO does not, so it's offline:
> >
> > http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/live-demo/2010-March/001620.html
> >
> > I wonder if the Arramagong team is happy with this. An
> offline DVD is enough for us? How many people have actually
> burnt a true DVD?
> >
> > Regards,
> > Juan Lucas
>
> I wouldn't say we're happy with it, but we have no idea why
> that issue
> occurs and don't have time to fix it for this release. For
> the next
> release that should be one of the 1st things we test,
> please file a bug
> ticket.
>
> As for the homepage, that seems to be changed by a package
> install after
> we set it to our help page. Also please file a ticket and
> if you get a
> chance try to track down which package does it (My
> suspicion is the
> firefox language packs).
>
> Thanks,
> Alex

Hello. Thanks for the clarification.

I suspect our tuned Xubuntu 9.10 is unable to read the router DHCP settings properly and tries to use a random IP.

In my case, I had configured my router so that the PC-s MAC address was always mapped to the same IP, but Arramagong 3 apparently was unable to understand this, and tried some other IP only to find that it was not available because I had also restricted the range of valid IP addresses.

I have enlarged the range of valid IP addresses and now Arramagong 3 does detect the router correctly and gets online.

Brian: do you know how your router is configured? Is your MAC address mapped to a certain local IP? Can you soften the router DHCP restrictions in any way and check if the live DVD gets online?

Regards,
Juan Lucas