[Live-demo] Building linux OSGeo distributions from OSGeo-Live?

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Thu Nov 25 17:10:45 EST 2010

Over the last 6 months or so, we have seen a number of people show
interest in building targeted GeoSpatial ubuntu based distributions by
leveraging the OSGeo-Live build scripts.

This email aims to introduce people to the various initiatives, with the
aim of finding synergies that we can all build upon.

Today we've started our build process for the next OSGeo-Live release,
due out mid March 2011.
Announcement here: http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Live_GIS_Disc_Press_Release_11

For OSGeo-Live, we have install scripts for over 40 Geospatial
applications, along with marketing and quickstart documentation.
While the focus of OSGeo-Live is to produce a DVD/USB to give to new
users at conferences and the like, the install scripts could be easily
tweaked to create a targeted distribution, like EasySDI, Poseidon Linux,
gisvm, etc.

In the OSGeo-Live team, we currently have:
  ~ 25 people maintaining the scripts and documentation.
~ 10 people helping with testing
~ 15 people involved in translation
~ 3 people working on the packaging

I'm very keen to see if we can help build other distributions from the
OSGeo-Live scripts.
This would make it much easier for OSGeo projects to market themselves,
as they only need to keep their scripts and documentation maintained in
one location, and then know that their package many be distributed out
through multiple channels.

So I now invite interested parties to introduce themselves. Who would
like to help out? What existing packaging distributions are potentially
interested in being involved? What would need to be put in place to help
build other distributions?

Potentially interested projects:

http://live.osgeo.org

http://www.easysdi.org/