[Live-demo] VirtualBox Install

David Anderson da at donnellandallred.com
Fri Oct 22 10:26:10 EDT 2010

> On 10/21/2010 04:04 PM, David Anderson wrote:
> > I have been trying to install to the hard disk in a VirtualBox VM on
> > Win 7 host according to the quickstart but keep getting an error
that
> > the installer is unable to continue.  I have tried adjust different
> > settings in the VM to no avail.  I have also tried installing from
> the
> > boot menu and from the live disc desktop.  Verified the image MD5
> also.
> >

> > Any help would be appreciated.
> >

> > Thanks,
> >

> > David Anderson, P.E.
> >
> Sorry that didn't work for you. Could you give us some more details
> about what screen it hung on or how much you got through. Also did you
> make sure to create a big enough virtual disk for the install (10GB+).
> Any information you can provide will help us look into the problem
> which
> we are aware occurs in some percentage of tests.
>
> In the meantime I've posted a Virtual Machine disk which should just
> run
> under VBox, VMware or KVM. Haven't had a chance to update the webpage
> yet with the links, so here they are. File is 2.6GB expands to 8.3 GB
>
> http://download.osgeo.org/livedvd/release/4.0.1/osgeo-live-4.0.1-vm.7z
> http://download.osgeo.org/livedvd/release/4.0.1/osgeo-live-4.0.1-
> vm.7z.md5
>
> Enjoy,
> Alex

I have a 20GB disk.  The install hangs or crashes with the error message
around 35% usually, sometimes less, sometimes more.  I have attached the
Virtual Machine file if that helps.  As far as the virtual machine goes,
I have tried both IDE and SATA disk controllers, 3D acceleration and no
3D acceleration, IO APIC and no IO APIC.

Thanks for the link,

David