[Live-demo] What should be our focus for the next OSGeoLive release? (version 5.0)

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Sat Oct 30 16:16:45 EDT 2010

On 10/30/2010 12:54 PM, Cameron Shorter wrote:
> On 31/10/10 05:49, Streithorst, Kip wrote:
>> Last time I looked, 32-bit version of Linux was being used.  Any
>> thoughts on adding 64-bit version of Linux?
>>

> I'm interested to hear the pros and cons for using 64 bit vs 32 bit.
> Will most computers in general use now (that are up to 7 years old)
> support 64 bit.

Nope, 32 bit processors are still common especially in netbooks and low
end laptops. Also 64 bit binaries are slightly larger and not much
benefit is gained unless you have over 4 GB of ram which is also
somewhat uncommon. Note, anecdotally one of my 32 bit servers appears to
be automatically using PAE to read more than 4 GB of ram. So overall in
our use case I think performance may actually be worse (though likely
the same) using 64 bit.

As for going back 7 years, my desktop is about 6 years old and it is one
of the 1st AMD 64 bit chips commonly used, long before intel introduced
non server 64 bit to the market.

That said I'm only talking about the Live Disc that we burn. If we
really automate the process I have no problem building and hosting 32 &
64 images. By automate I'm referring to the goal that we've attempted to
reach but haven't quite got to, where the whole thing can be produced by
script without a vm install. <- This is still a goal for me, and I'm
looking for help.

Thanks,
Alex