[Live-demo] OSGeo Production Server

Johan Van de Wauw johan.vandewauw at gmail.com
Tue Sep 28 16:03:45 EDT 2010

On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 6:14 PM, Hernan Olivera <lholivera at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> Is OsGeo live dvd installed to hard disk ok for production use?
No
> If not, what would be necessary to do that?
At least security updates (which requires that programs can easily be
built from source, and people maintaining the packages) and a thorough
review of the programs on security aspects.
> It would be great to have an OSGeo Server distro, isn't it?
The only reasonable option is adding more osgeo server packages to
debian/ubuntu (or another distro if you like), and running a server
install of those distribution and then choosing packages you are
interested in. Installing from a live dvd (with desktop kernel,
standard password and a whole desktop environment) will cause more
problems than it actually solves.

Anyway, I hereby call all contributors to the live dvd (also desktop
programs) to consider packaging for debian (and thus ubuntu). You will
reach more people (and the last minute updates to build scripts on the
live dvd are avoided). If any advice or help is needed, don't hesitate
to contact pkg-grass-general at lists.alioth.debian.org , the mailing
list of the team which maintains most gis related packages in Debian.