[Live-demo] Re: Questions about gvsig, Java and OSGeo-Live

Simon Cropper scropper at botanicusaustralia.com.au
Tue Aug 9 21:54:14 EDT 2011

On 10/08/11 11:18, cameron.shorter at gmail.com wrote:
> Jorge, José, Simon,
> Would you mind responding to this email on behalf of: gvsig
> On 10/08/11 09:28, Jody Garnett wrote:
>> Cameron if you were able to ensure the Sun JRE used included JAI /
>> ImageIO / ImageIO-Ext then the udig project could make use of it
>> directly (rather than using its own JRE as is done currently). An easy
>> way to check would be to use the bundled JRE from the udig install
>> script (rather than the sun jre) and see all the applications still work.
>> The procedure to make one of these JRE+Extensions is here:
>> http://udig.refractions.net/confluence/display/ADMIN/JRE+for+Linux - I
>> can ask on udig-devel if they have made a script for this one yet.
>> Jody
> OSGeo-Live Java people,
> Does Jody's suggestion make sense for your project?
> Do you expect your project would work using UDig's custom java install?
> Would you anticipate we might run into any stability issues?
> Will this proposal help your project save any space?
> Any other thoughts?
> Please CC responses to live-demo at lists.osgeo.org

My understanding is that gvSIG requires Sun's version of Java.
Historically JAI was only used by Sextante but from my understanding
this is not a dependency with either package anymore.

I don't know how the live-demo cd is setup, but gvSIG can share a common
SunMicrosystem JRE VM simply by changing the startup script. The website
states the minimum requirement is Java Virtual Machine 1.5.0_12.

The location of the startup script, gvSIG.sh, is ~/gvSIG_1.11/bin. Sorry
but I don't have a VM copy of the DVD to test any changes so you will
have to play with the file yourself or wait until Jorge and José come on
line later.

Cheers Simon

    Simon Cropper
    Principal Consultant