[Live-demo] Re: GDAL on OSGeo-Live?

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at lisasoft.com
Thu Jan 20 06:52:47 EST 2011

Frank,
We are asking all projects to have their documentation and install scripts
in place for OSGeo-Live by 31 Jan (in 1 week) to allow translators to start
translating.

Can you, or one of your GDAL users please help us with creating of the GDAL
docs as per:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Live_GIS_Add_Project#Documentation

(We have such docs for all other incubated OSGeo applications which can be
executed).

On Sun, Dec 19, 2010 at 6:29 AM, Alex Mandel <tech_dev at wildintellect.com>wrote:

> On 12/18/2010 02:49 AM, Cameron Shorter wrote:
> > Frank,
> > It would be great to include GDAL on the next OSGeo-Live release. Would
> > you be interested in helping facilitate this.
> >
> > (I understand that GDAL can be run from the command line or similar,
> > which will allow users to directly call GDAL - which is one of our
> > requirements for OSGeo-Live)
> >
> > What would be required is:
> > 1. Someone to volunteer to be a liaison between OSGeo-Live and GDAL.
> > 2. Installer script for Ubuntu (I assume this will just be a simple
> > "apt-get" script)
> > 3. Write up of a Marketing Overview and Quickstart documentation
> >
> > There is a good chance we could get a volunteer to help you with setup,
> > if you wish to commit to (1).
> >
> > Schedule is that we'd like to have install script and docs in place by
> > 31 January to meet the March printing schedule.
> >

> Cameron,
>
> GDAL is already installed as a dependency for a bunch of other
> applications(QGIS, GRASS, rgdal...) and a separate script would be as
> simple as:
> apt-get install gdal-bin libgdal1-1.7.0 python-gdal
> dans-gdal-scripts(optional)
>
> So what we really need is a 1 page overview and a quickstart showing
> some common commandline usage with links to the gdal documentation that
> ships. I think we may have included the html docs that mirror the
> website in past versions.
>
> Thanks,
> Alex

Geospatial Systems Architect