[Live-demo] Re: gvsig packaging

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Wed Jan 26 00:56:49 EST 2011

>>> * Removed non-free libraries for ECW or MrSID loading
>
> I'll admit to falling behind with their status: is it a situation
> of license compatibility, patents in certain parts of the world,
> or just "all downloads will come from the company" redistribution
> type thing? are these the gdal plugins or java specific libraries?
>

> Hamish

A lot of projects are dealing with this issue now primarily because new
versions have come out (old versions disappeared) and there hasn't been
a breakthrough figuring out how to get them to work with things like
GDAL. I think it's more of an issue for ECW.

Technically the licenses are little fuzzy, Mrsid being on the more
lenient side, last time I recall MPG who used to work for Lizardtech
said it was ok to include it on the LiveDisc.

Thanks,
Alex