[Live-demo] Impacts of OSGeo-Live document license selection on OSGeo

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Sat Jun 18 19:00:04 EDT 2011

I'm expanding this discussion on OSGeo-Live documentation license
selection, as our decision will have a significant knock on effect to
the rest of OSGeo, and OSGeo business models, and I'd like to give
everyone the chance to air the opinions.
Please continue discussion on the OSGeo-Discuss list.

We are wishing to determine which Creative Commons license we recommend
for OSGeo-Live Project Overviews and Quickstarts. [1] Either:
Attribution (CC BY), or
Attribution Share Alike (CC BY-SA)

By selecting Share-Alike clause in the Creative Commons license, we
force all derivative documents to also be released as Creative Commons.

In order to decide whether this is desirable, lets guess where people
would likely wish  to include OSGeo-Live docs.

For Project Overviews:
1. Case Studies
2. Comparisons of Software (both Open Source and Proprietary)
3. The numerous types of documentation created for projects which
incorporate Open Source: RFQ responses, Designs, Maintainer Guides, etc.
These docs will often be commercial in confidence.
4. News articles about Open Source, published in newspapers or magazines
with their own copyright policy.
5. OSGeo Web Site
6. Project Web Sites, which possibly have a permissive documentation policy.
7. Training Material
8. Basically, any material which could potentially be talking about Open
Source Geospatial Software.

For Project Quickstarts:
I see the Quickstarts as likely being the seed for a comprehensive OSGeo
training resource, including development of lecture notes, workshop
notes, tutorials, books  "How to do XXX with Open Source application YYY".

My recommendation:
* I think that the OSGeo-Live project should mandate that Project
Overviews should be available to be used under a CC-BY (without the
viral "Share Alike"). There will be marketing advantage gained by
allowing our overviews to be included in the types of documents above,
and that many of these documents (such as newspapers or magazine
articles) will not change a publishing policy to Creative Commons.

* The license policy for Quickstarts is one I'd like to hear debate about.
Should the minimum requirement for license be CC BY, or CC BY-SA?
(Projects will always be able to license under a more permissive license
if they choose).
There would be significant collective value gained if education
institutions used and extended our Quickstarts, by building open
training material on top of it.
However, there is significant cost involved in creating training
material, and training is one way OSGeo businesses make money. Is it ok
for OSGeo businesses to incorporate quickstarts into their much greater
training material, but not give the training material back?
Are education institutions allowed to license material they create under
CC BY-SA?

[1] http://live.osgeo.org/en/overview/overview.html