Fwd: Re: [Live-demo] Impacts of OSGeo-Live document license selection on OSGeo

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 08:12:22 EDT 2011

On 28/06/11 17:05, Simon Cropper wrote:
> On 28/06/11 16:20, Cameron Shorter wrote:
>> For example, Lets say I'm writing a Design document for a project, or
>> responding to a Request for Quotation, where the proposed solution makes
>> use of a number of OSGeo-Live applications. Both documents would likely
>> require a description of included applications. Also, in both cases, the
>> document will likely be commercial in confidence due to the commercial
>> sensitivities of the project.
>>
>> It would be very nice to include the OSGeo-Live Project Overviews in
>> these documents. If overviews are licensed as CC-By, then the Design &
>> Response would both require attribution to be mentioned (hence the
>> marketing or OSGeo-Live). It would also mean that a solution which makes
>> use of Open Source would likely look more professional than if an author
>> needed to recreate the material from scratch, and would also be more
>> cost effective, which would in turn make Open Source based solutions
>> more competitive in the market.
>>
>> If on the other hand, Project Overviews were Share Alike, then they
>> would not be allowed to be included in these commercial-in-confidence
>> documents. Hence no marketing.
>
> In this instance where you are supplementing a quotation you could
> include the CC-BY-SA document since you are not creating and
> distributing 'derivative' works.

Simon,
My interpretation of CC-By-SA seems to be different to yours.
A Design document which includes a CC-By-SA Project Overview, is a
derivative work of the Project Overview. As such, the Design document
would be required to be licensed under CC-By-SA. My objection is that
Design documents often have legitimate reasons for being Commercial in
Confidence and should not be constrained to only be CC-By-SA.

Geospatial Director