[Live-demo] Successful deployment (Was: Community comments on OSGeo-Live)

Micha Silver micha at arava.co.il
Thu Oct 13 07:38:54 EDT 2011

Hello all:

I recently gave a short tutorial/demonstration of some FOSS GIS software
to a group of entomologists. I'm very pleased to say that the sessions
went especially well since I used OSGeo-Live USB sticks. I had prepared
in advance a slightly modified version of the system in a VM on my
laptop, with extra data tuned to the participants in the conference, and
then created an ISO using the scripts made by the OSGeo-Live developers.
Then I "burned" 15 USB sticks (using unetbootin) to be handed out at the
conference.
Those participants with GIS experience were, of course, astounded with
the breadth and capabilities of FOSS GIS. And their experience was
purely due to the OSGeo-Live system with everything packaged together.
The others, seeing this kind of software for the first time, dove right
in and worked thru the exercises with none of the glitches that usually
accompany installing on a variety of user's machines.  Everyone is
walking away with a good taste for FOSS in general, and the
possibilities of employing FOSS GIS software at their home institutions.

So, another warm thanks for all the excellent work put in here!

Regards,
Micha