[Live-demo] Replacing existing Ubuntu installation with Live Demo

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 24 22:37:01 EDT 2011

Kurt wrote:
> Hello,I have a Dell laptop with a dual boot setup between
> Windows XP and Ubuntu 11.04.  I'd like to replace my existing
> Ubuntu installation with the OsGeo Live DVD and am trying to
> figure out the most elegant way to do this.

install the apps you want to your existing ubuntu install using
the provided install scripts,  (see below)

> I thought I could just boot up the DVD and choose the Install
> option and pick my Ubuntu partition and install.

that will wipe out + replace your ubuntu installation with xubuntu 11.04, not augment it. if your ubuntu boot is fresh out
of the box, maybe it is no trouble to start again from scratch?

> However, I'm not sure what to set in the Allocate drive space
> window during the install.  The Ubuntu partition is /dev/sda4
> fat32.

fat32? typically it would be ext4 or ext3 unless it was installed
with the "install to bootable usb" method, which is not needed
for a real hard drive.

> I'm not sure if I just select that partition and click Install
> Now, or if I need to have it Format that partition.  It doesn't
> let me check that format box.   Is there another way to install
> this via apt-get from my existing Ubuntu installation?

as per http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Live_GIS_Build#Getting_started

boot into ubuntu,

make sure subversion is installed:
 sudo apt-get install subversion

then fetch the livedvd build scripts:
 svn checkout https://svn.osgeo.org/osgeo/livedvd/gisvm/trunk osgeo_live

cd into the bin dir:
 cd osgeo_live/bin

and either install everything (will take some time!) with
 ./main.sh

or, just the particular project(s) you are interested in:
 ./install_marble.sh

(in the case you just install individual projects, you may need
to take care of prerequisites by running other install scripts
like install_apache2.sh first)

good luck,
Hamish