[Live-demo] OSGeoLive 5.5 draft for background image

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 8 06:56:19 EST 2012

Hi,

I am glad to see work on the desktop background progressing.

a couple housekeeping reminders--

* previous desktop backgrounds should be moved off the disk and into here:
     https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/browser/livedvd/artwork/

* to move something in svn, _always_ use 'svn move', _not_ 'svn del' +
    'svn add' somewhere else
  (or their aliases). A couple reasons for this: (a) modification history
  and file provenance is preserved [aka the whole point of using a revision
  control system] and (b) once added to Svn files are never actually
  deleted, as they must be available for reverting back to later. So
  adding the same large binary twice doubles the baggage that the svn
  repo must carry around forever more. (this is why we request that large
  binary downloads go on the download server not in svn's app-data/)

* for similar reasons please do use the svn repo as a sandbox for high
  turnover image development. post the images to flickr or picasa or some
  similar service and only upload to svn the completed work.

* if someone is running a workshop and for that needs the class to all
  install some ubuntu repo package(s), and the packages are small (say
  <5mb) please let us know now. IMHO having projects install scripts
  like /usr/local/bin/install_additional_MapFoo_data.sh to download and
  install additional stuff for workshops or non-core quickstart lessons
  is a fine idea.

* we are shipping 3-4 copies of tomcat. the wasted disc space means that
  we are going to have to take the unpleasant step of kicking mostly
  innocent projects off the disc (currently mb-system and mapguide)
  as there isn't space for them; and making the USB version less useful
  with less user work-space; and the ISO DVD less useful with fewer
  installers on it. If there's a way to do similar to
     `apache2 -f alternate_conf_file`
  so we can start and stop secondary tomcats using a single package
  installation, then we need to find that, and (due to testing time)
  do it fast.  any experts?

* if you are using the trac wiki for the Live GIS Disc project, please
  also add a link back to that from main wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Live_GIS_Disc
  wiki site. I don't really care which tool people use, but I do worry
  about creating a scattered mess split over two locations.

thanks (really),
Hamish