[Live-demo] Where should JAVA_HOME be set (if overriding default=openjdk 1.7)?

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 15:50:13 EST 2012

Java community,

I've written a script which installs openjdk 1.7 onto osgeolive 5.0, and
then have successfully opened geomajas using openjdk 1.7 to confirm it
works. (I still need to update the install script to also set JAVA_HOME
to openjdk).

I looking for advice on how we should handle having applications which
make use of 2 different java versions on our system.

JAVA_HOME currently links to /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun

I suggest that in future,
JAVA_HOME should link to /usr/lib/jvm/jdk1.7.0

My question is how we should applications which wish to continue using
java-6-sun update JAVA_HOME?
* Where in the startup / install scripts should we be inserting a line
which sets the JAVA_HOME variable?