[Live-demo] [live-demo] Kick-starting OSGeoLive 7.5

Ivan Minčík ivan.mincik at gmail.com
Tue Dec 10 13:37:09 PST 2013

My proposal here is to split the project (since it grew too big):

> - OSGeoLive ppa (UbuntuGIS or perhaps other)
> - OSGeoLive apt repository (for packages not fitting under the Launchpad
> rules, eg. Java binary packages)
> - OSGeoLive docs and translations (should be maintained separately and
> create a deb file periodically e.g. for every new commit)
> - OSGeoLive data (also should be packaged in a deb file)
> - OSGeoLive build scripts (for anything not in a deb file, e.g. the actual
> build files)
>
> +1, splitting is a good idea.

> This would also simplify things:
> All projects must provide deb packages, else they are not included in the
> 8.0 release. So 7.9 will be a transition release...
>

>> 2. As such our critical mass for turning over a release requires more
>> effort than before.
>>

> If we manage to have everything as a deb file, actually this will be MUCH
> easier, plus we can upgrade between releases...

I would like to note a few things.
Creating and maintaining DEBs for all apps can be a huge task.
Theoretically, if it would be done, it needs to be re-maintained every time
when a new release is done (or does it make a sense to release without
updating apps ?). Updating packages at every OSGeoLive release means also
that it needs separate repository. This means another Debian GIS repository
fragmentation (Debian GIS, UbuntuGIS, QGIS Debian repo, others ...) and
less cooperation between projects. I think it is really important to join
forces of all Debian and Ubuntu GIS groups together [1] and make agreement
on rather less frequent but high quality common repositories.

Here is one of my proposals about UbuntuGIS packaging infrastructure [2],
but there are much more ideas. Personally, I think that maintaining high
quality repository (which means regular patching of security and other
important problems) is possible only for LTS releases.

Lot of Open Source GIS software is mature enough and it doesn't depend so
much on little bit updated version. This software (lets call it core group
of software) could be installed from common DEB repository. Newer or less
mature software could be still installed from sources.

1 - http://linuxminded.nl/tmp/pkg-grass-website/policy.html
2- http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/ubuntu/2013-November/000937.html

Ivan