[Live-demo] New projects? geoext, hale ...

Johan Van de Wauw johan.vandewauw at gmail.com
Fri Dec 20 03:56:15 PST 2013

I've recently started using some cool open source tools which I belive
would fit very well on the live dvd:

Geoext: well not really missing since  mapfish, geoexplorer, geonode,
geonetwork and perhaps others are using it, but it would perhaps be
nice to have an own overview and quickstart. It is a javascript
library so packaging is not really an issue.

It is a library so not an end-user application - not sure if that woutld fit.
http://geoext.org/

Hale: Perhaps less well known, but definitely of interest in Europe.
Hale is a tool for defining and evaluating conceptual schema mappings.
It is one of the only tools I know which will create data in complex
gml schemas, such as the ones that are part of INSPIRE.It is a java
project and runs on ubuntu, but we should check whether it also works
well with openjdk (I've not tested that).

http://community.esdi-humboldt.eu/projects/hale

Perhaps not on this live dvd, but for the next release I think we
should also add more nodejs based libraries/programs such as topojson.
For now it may be a lot of work to backport all dependencies.

Johan