[Live-demo] iPython Notebook, SciPy and IRIS

maplabs at light42.com maplabs at light42.com
Fri Dec 20 14:31:52 PST 2013

Hi All -

  I am doing a few small experiement with XUbuntu 12.04.3 and the
current repos..
As some already know, I am advocating using python "distribute" / pip
to add python assets

  I have installed ipython (1.1) and numpy using pip and the results
look good. You may
know that iPython Notebook has gained a significant user base in the
science community since the
last Live release.

  I went to install matplotlib, and had to add a few things..
libpng12-dev and libfreetype6-dev
which we already use...Otherwise all went well..

  I notice that install_IRIS.sh has quite a few of the same
dependancies as the SciPy stack,
yet uses apt to install the python assets.  unless someone else jumps
in, over the break I will
likely try re-arranging those install lines and see how that works out..

  In general I think there is a lot of stability in using python pip
to get the required packages.

--
Brian M Hamlin
OSGeo California Chapter