[Live-demo] [OSGeo-Discuss] Starting build cycle for OSGeo-Live 7.0

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Mon May 27 21:14:07 PDT 2013

Ian wrote:
> I'm also hoping to get a Python library called Iris added for
> use in one of the Workshops (Big Data: The Challenges Presented
> by WCS 2.0 - http://2013.foss4g.org/provisional/workshops.html
> ). I'm subscribed to the live-demo list and will get started
> with the alpha release.

Hi Ian,

this one, right?
  http://scitools.org.uk/iris/

it should not be hard to write an install script to do that to sit
along side our other install scripts in bin/.

It is preferred to install Python things as .deb packages rather than to
use 'python setup.py install' or something like easy_install, and thus
risk multiple versions quietly overwriting each other, causing
collateral damage, and other mess.

For python tarballs this is actually very easy to do. For example:

# create a .deb package of a python lib
# https://pypi.python.org/pypi/stdeb#examples

sudo apt-get install python-stdeb

# first prepare the debian build rules and source package:
mkdir deb && cd deb && cp ../geographiclib-1.30.tar.gz .
py2dsc geographiclib-1.30.tar.gz

cd ..
tar czf geographiclib-1.30_deb_src.tgz deb/

# next send the source package out to any modern debian or ubuntu:
scp geographiclib-1.30_deb_src.tgz remote_node:

# then build locally on that machine,
cd deb_dist/geographiclib-1.30/
dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -uc -us

cd ..
mv python-geographiclib_1.30-1_all.deb python-geographiclib_1.30-1_precise.deb

# and install it
sudo dpkg -i python-geographiclib_1.30-1_precise.deb

the only trouble I see is that the Iris package is 25mb compressed,
and our space is very tight. Is it including some sample data or
developer documentation which might be hosted online instead of the
live disc? We have a facility for that with a link from the Desktop:
   http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/wiki/Live_GIS_Workshop_Install

fwiw, support for shared libs in MB-System looks like it will be ready
in time, so that will free up 100+ MB of space, but perhaps not enough
to get us back to our 3.2GB target for the mini ISO.

regards,
Hamish