[Live-demo] [OSGeo] #1428: Include GeoPandas on Live 8.5

Brian M Hamlin maplabs at light42.com
Sun Dec 14 11:45:19 PST 2014

On Mon, 15 Dec 2014 06:26:18 +1100, Cameron Shorter
<cameron.shorter at gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Brian,
  > I'd be interested to hear you expand on your thoughts about adding
  > GeoPandas to OSGeoLive. (I don't know anything about the project).

..

  > My first look at the website implies to me that the project might still
  > be immature, as it is still at version 0.1.

  Yes it is true, the project is new and marked as an early version.
However, earlier this year the core authors managed to solicit Sean
Gilles to directly contribute. Sean Gilles has single-handedly done for
python geospatial what ten years of committees and projects did not do
- by authoring clean and simple geo interfaces to the most fundemental
commandline apps in the OSGeo toolspace.
  So when Sean Gilles signed on this year as an author of GeoPandas, my
expectations changed.. I have been working with the GeoPandas library
just a tiny bit. It works as advertised and is built not as a partial
effort, but rather the spare and lean basis of more to come...
  I suggest we add GeoPandas in quietly, as it takes almost negligible
disk space, and adds value to others in the python geospatial stack.