[Live-demo] OSGeo-Live UAT in one week: Testing and doc updates required

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Sun Jul 27 15:41:09 PDT 2014

In this OSGeo-Live 8.0 development cycle we have seen major upgrades:
moving to the light weight Lubuntu distribution, moving to a new Long
Time Support release (LTS), and moving even more applications to make
use of Debian packaging. It should be our best distribution yet. But
this has impacted our schedule, as the Ubuntu LTS has only become stable
within the last week (14.04.1 release), and we need help in order to
deliver OSGeo-Live toFOSS4G-PDX <http://2014.foss4g.org/>with our usual
high level of quality and reliability.

In particular, we need help:

 1. Testing to verify everything works in this new system and fixing
    bugs. Download alpha1here
    <http://osprey.ucdavis.edu/downloads/osgeo/gisvm/gisvm/8.0alpha4/osgeo-live-mini-8.0alpha4-i386.iso>[0].
 2. Updating version number in your Project Overview (if changed), and
    possibly mention a new feature or two. Dochowtos
    <http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Live_GIS_Disc#Documentation>[4].
 3. Re-running the Quickstart and ensure each step is still valid, and
    screenshots match the implementation.
 4. Updating status of the Project Overview and Quickstart to "8.0draft"
    in our status sheet. [1]

Due to our tight timelines, we might need to hide applications which we
can't get stablised, tested, or docs updated in time. Please check our
current list of open issues [2][3] to verify that your project is
working as expected.

    Schedule

  * 27 July 2014 Alpha4 released [3]. Please verify all applications
    work and fix bugs.
  * 03 August 2014 Beta1 release - start taking screen shots with new
    background.
  * 07 August 2014 Community Testing Sprint (UAT).
  * 07 August 2014 English docs complete.
  * 14 August 2014 Translations complete.
  * 17 August 2014 OSGeo-Live 8.0 sent to the printers.

[0]http://osprey.ucdavis.edu/downloads/osgeo/gisvm/gisvm/8.0alpha4/osgeo-live-mini-8.0alpha4-i386.iso

[1]https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Al9zh8DjmU_RdGIzd0VLLTBpQVJuNVlHMlBWSDhKLXc#gid=13

[2]http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/report/10

[3]http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/live-demo/2014-July/009274.html