[Live-demo] GRASS and QGIS versions on OSGeo-Live?

Sebastiaan Couwenberg sebastic at xs4all.nl
Sun Aug 2 14:22:45 PDT 2015

On 02-08-15 23:14, Markus Neteler wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 2, 2015 at 10:58 PM, Cameron Shorter
> <cameron.shorter at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 2/08/2015 1:30 am, Sebastiaan Couwenberg wrote:
>>>
>>> You can't drop GRASS 6 without breaking QGIS 2.8. For GRASS 7 support you
>>> need QGIS >= 2.10. The final GRASS 7 changes expected in QGIS 2.12.
>>> http://www.gissula.eu/qgis-grass-plugin-crowdfunding/ Kind Regards, Bas
>>
>> Based on Bas' comment, I sounds like we need to consider either dropping
>> Grass back to version 6
>
> ... hopefully just a joke :)

In Debian it's not a joke. GRASS 7 is still in experimental because it
breaks the QGIS plugin. There was strong user demand to not break the
QGIS GRASS plugin that convinced me to not move it out of experimental
before the QGIS issue is fixed.

I was a bit disappointed that it required monetary incentive to update
the QGIS GRASS plugin via the crowdfunding campain. An unfortuntate
consequence of the user base not possessing the skills to contribute the
GRASS 7 changes I guess.

>> or increasing QGIS to 2.10 on our next OSGeo-Live 9.0.
>>
>> Any comments on the viability of moving QGIS to 2.10 on OSGeo-Live?
>
> Cameron:
> I don't think that the integration interface of QGIS (younger) with
> GRASS (32 years old now, co-founder of OSGeo) can dicate that
> OSGeo-Live be going back to GRASS GIS 6.

OSGeo-Live's role as a showcase of the best of breed open source
geospatial applications is a good reason to not be as conservative as
Debian and update QGIS to 2.10 along with GRASS 7.0.1.

Kind Regards,

Bas

--
 GPG Key ID: 4096R/6750F10AE88D4AF1