[Live-demo] Retire MapTiler from OSGeo-Live

Basques, Bob (CI-StPaul) bob.basques at ci.stpaul.mn.us
Mon Feb 9 06:57:48 PST 2015

All,

I have a different take on all of this project naming.  I've always been under the belief that if you put something out as open source, then it's out there name and all, and that's it (regardless of what the legalese might suggest).  It just seems like this is the courteous way to contribute to the community.  While there are other interpretations of trademarking, I always thought of it as a way of keeping control of the name so others couldn't hijack it for other projects, and not so I had exclusive right to do so at a time of my choosing.  I don't think that just because it's a single person or a group that it should be permissible.  It needs to be one standard for all.  Maybe this is used as a lesson learned in this situation, but I would hate to have to put yet more text into place to describe this type of thing as an incubation step.

Looking at this from the community perspective it would be more painful for the community to rebrand, and with few if any interested in this prospect I don't see that the community should be tasked with the process.  If someone comes forward to do it, well, that's fine.  The short of this is that if it works, and it's relatively painless for the OSGeo-Live to keep it on the distribution, then leave it there.  Brand it as still working but end of life or something.  It does sound like there is still some use of the package, and the emphasis from  OSGeo seems to be put on actively developed projects, vs just plain old working, it seems like the "working" aspect should play into things more.

Removing it from service seems wrong while it still works, even without a dedicated development group.  There is also the question of older versions (and users) on older distros of Live-dvd.  Since I assume these are free for use still, than the same goes for the current version on OSGeo Live.  If at some point there is renewed desire to develop then the question of naming could be revisited, but I still think once it's out there in the wild it's out there in the wild, and that's it.

Ok, said my piece.  :c)

Bobb