[Live-demo] Starting build cycle for OSGeo-Live 9.0

Angelos Tzotsos gcpp.kalxas at gmail.com
Mon Jun 1 21:12:57 PDT 2015

Hi,

There is no decision about this so far.

We should discuss 2 issues:
1. Do we have the volunteer/tester number to test and support a dual
architecture release (i386 and amd64)?

In the past we had an experimental 64bit build which in general worked
ok , but due to limited number of testers, it was dropped on alpha stage.
The core build scripts support 64bit, we would need to make sure that
the installers will work as expected.
Also we would need to enable 64bit deb files in our ppa, i.e. we will
need to ask for more disk space from Launchpad (32 bit packages take up
~66% of the ppa disk space).
Furthermore, our minimum system requirements will probably need to be
revised: memory consumption in 64bits will go up.

2. If we do not have enough testers, which should be our default
architecture?

In past discussions, people were asking to keep the i386 builds for old
laptops/netbooks. Is this still the case after a couple of years?
And another question: is a move to 64bit going to solve any of our
problems to boot on a Mac?

Thoughts?

Best,
Angelos

On 05/30/2015 06:33 PM, tinlyx wrote:
> I was wondering whether the OSGeo-Live 9.0 version will be based on Lubuntu
> 64-bit?
>
> I've been following the other thread about 64-bit, and I was wondering if
> this is happening now or it is in more distant future.
>
> Thanks
>

> --

Angelos Tzotsos
Remote Sensing Laboratory