[Live-demo] python-osmium ?

Sebastiaan Couwenberg sebastic at xs4all.nl
Sat Jul 9 10:47:03 PDT 2016

Hi Brian,

Please don't CC me explicitly, I'm subscribed to the list.

The short answer is that there is no python-osmium package. You're
looking for the wrong package.

If you're looking for a package, using the tracker is you're best option:

 https://tracker.debian.org/

It has a search function with suggestions that would have pointed you at
the appropriate package.

You can also append a package name to the URL which automatically
redirects URLs for both binary and source packages to the appropriate
source package page, in this case:

 https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/pyosmium

The pyosmium source package builds the python-pyosmium and
python3-pyosmium binary packages following the usual naming convention
for Python modules: python{,3}-<modulename>.

The old osmium [0] is available via the osmium source package [1], and
builds the libosmium-dev & osmjs binary packages.

The new osmium [2] has separate source packages for the individual
sub-projects [3] and their respective git repositories on GitHub [4]:

 * libosmium, builds:
   - libosmium2-dev
   - libosmium2-doc
   https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/libosmium

 * osmium-tool, builds:
   - osmium-tool
   https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/osmium-tool

 * osmcoastline, builds:
   - osmcoastline
   https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/osmcoastline

 * pyosmium, builds:
   - pyosmium-doc
   - python-pyosmium
   - python3-pyosmium
   https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/osmcoastline

Initial packaging for node-osmium [5] and osmium-contrib [6] also
exists, but these were not pursued further because there is little
value in having packages for those in the archive. node-osmium is more
easily installed via npm, and osmium-contrib serves mostly as example code.

The new osmium packages were developed in collaboration with Jochen Topf
after he expressed interest in packaging of OpenStreetMap software on
the Debian GIS list some time ago [7]. I take care of most of the
packaging now, with Jochen mostly as an upstream for the new osmium
projects. In the case of pyosmium, Sarah Hoffmann does most of the
upstream development.

[0] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Osmium/Old_version
[1] https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/osmium
[2] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Osmium