[Mapbender-dev] primary key for mb_user_name?

Uli Rothstein uli.rothstein at ccgis.de
Mon Aug 7 04:04:39 EDT 2006

Hi,

do we realy need a unique user name?
This is a basic decision and there are some pros and cons:
* the application works with the user_id if the user is authenticated by name
and password
* the maxLogin disables an account by username
Certainly there are much more arguments.
Let's start a discussion....

Regards
Uli

Astrid Emde schrieb:
> Christoph Baudson schrieb:
>> Astrid,
>>
>>> Only for the login, we ask for the mb_user_name. After we checked the
>>> authentication we go on with the mb_user_id.
>>
>> Although the registration procedure checks, if this username is taken,
>> it might occur that a database entry comes from another source but the
>> registration form on the web, f.e. a command line entry or a different
>> module (someone adds his own registration module for instance).
>>
>> Because the user name needs to be unique, it should be reflected in
>> the database too, so adding a UNIQUE constraint should suffice.
>
> Hi christoph,
>
> now I unterstand your point and agree to the primary key on the column
> mb_user_name.
>
> Astrid

--------------------------------
        Ulrich Rothstein