[Mapbender-dev] Packer (code conventions)

Christoph Baudson (WhereGroup) christoph.baudson at wheregroup.com
Mon Feb 5 06:44:38 EST 2007

Hello,

today I have tested the packer by Dean Edwards
(http://dean.edwards.name/packer/usage/) by compressing the class point.js

* I had to add a semicolon after every function statement to make it work.

* The file size was reduced from 3.3Kb to 1.8Kb. For larger files the
compression rate will be higher, for example jQuery is 55Kb uncompressed
and 19Kb compressed.

At a first glance I don't any other packer like Dean Edwards'. And to it
seems like it's in wide use (searching for "dean edwards" AND "packer"
results in 18000 google matches)

The semicolon after functions is necessary if we want to use this
packer. So do we want to use this packer? As a developer who works on a
more theoretical level I'm not as much in touch with customer demands as
others. But I sense that saving half the bandwidth weighs more than the
addition of an (obscure) semicolon.

I would love to hear some more opinions on this.