[Mapbender-dev] Packer (code conventions)

Christoph Baudson (WhereGroup) christoph.baudson at wheregroup.com
Tue Feb 6 07:26:41 EST 2007

Hi Marc, hi Paul, hi list,

Paul, JSLint is yet another great tool, thanks for sharing.

Marc, here's what I think about your reply.

> Yes the names are shortened, but that should not be a problem since
> everything  done by Dean Edwards packer is being reverted as the script
> is loaded. The whole resultung function (p, a, c, k, e, d){...} is being
> evaluated at once. Different scripts are sent through eval in the order
> of presence of script-tags in the markup. I used is together with about
> 6 other scripts and there were no problems.

This is quite interesting. I believed that variable names were just
shortened. Where did you get your information from? The documentation of
Dean Edwards' packer is not the best.

> Sure enough other packers should be considered. Can't we make up a small
> test page in the wiki with results for some of the tools and pros and
> cons for each?

A first draft is up at

http://www.mapbender.org/index.php/For_developers#Packing_JavaScript_code

Any input will be highly appreciated.