[Mapbender-dev] JS exceptions

Marc Jansen jansen.marc at gmx.de
Tue Jan 9 08:35:35 EST 2007

Hey there,

Christoph Baudson schrieb:
> Hello again,
>
> thanks for your input Marc.
>
> Returning a boolean sounds like a sensible thing to do. At the moment
> the php-class doesn't return a value either, so I will go and edit it
> as well.

Thats nice. Is the online browsable version of the SVN-repository down
at the moment?
> I believe you, Marc, are quite experienced in Ajax, so I will ask
> rightaway: What is the best way to return the value? I would send http
> headers in mb_js_exception.php and just echo 'true' or 'false'. Is
> this the way it is done? Or do I have to build an XML?

I am not that experienced, I just experimented a little bit here and there.
There is yet another common habit: returning a JSON-object which
indicates success or failure.
Which way you choose is mainly a result of personal preferences.

For the discussed action (loggin of an exception), all of the above
mentioned things would work well... I'd choose the simplest thing by
echoing the status as 'true' or 'false' (It might be wrapped in some
rudimentary XML):

<loggingresponse>
   <loggingresult>true</loggingresult>
</loggingresponse>

(Easy to process with my favorite library, too --> jquery)

As for XML in general: In my opinion returning a well-formed XML is in
this case more important than follow some sort of DTD.

The JSON-thing would be wonderful, too. Some additional properties could
be returned as string literal of an object, e.g. {loggingresult: 'true',
loggingdate: '2007-01-09', ...}, eval'ed, and could be used afterwards.