[Mapbender-dev] Code Conventions (first summary)

Christoph Baudson (WhereGroup) christoph.baudson at wheregroup.com
Thu Jan 25 04:08:51 EST 2007

Hi everybody,

to accelerate the process of agreement on the conventions, I would like
to summarize our discussion:

* The code conventions say "performance is not a good reason to avoid
commenting" (thanks for the reminder, Marko)

* Marc proposed a PHP-Doc style documentation for both PHP and JS,
seconded by Marko.

* Marc introduced the packing algorithm used by jQuery:
http://dean.edwards.name/packer/usage/
Using this packing algorithm would result in additional rules:

- "terminate every statement by a semicolon (even functions!)" (although
I don't understand why the if-statement in the sample is not
terminated..any ideas? http://dean.edwards.name/packer/usage/sample.html)
- "always use curly braces, even if the block consists of only one line"

(using the packer would be optional)

I would like to invite everyone who disagrees with these statements (or
has corrections) to come up with their arguments, so that an agreement
can be reached soon.

Thanks for your time,