[Mapbender-dev] module maintenance

Christoph Baudson christoph.baudson at wheregroup.com
Mon Dec 8 10:14:35 EST 2008

In a previous mail I have identified 67 application elements. We should
improve maintenance of these modules in order to guarantee higher
stability, increase usability and start to build a comprehensible
documentation.

Out of the 67 mentioned above, the following could be moved to the core
of Mapbender.

popup (is just a JS library)
setPOI2Scale (hard wired in session.conf, could be part of API)
setBBOX (hard wired in session.conf, could be part of API)
initWmc (hard wired in session.conf, could be part of API)
highlightPOI (hard wired in session.conf, could be part of API)

62 elements left.

The following are either redundant or possibly obsolete

WMS_preferences (treeGDE offers the same functionality)
setScaleHint (does not use element vars, uses target!) may be obsolete
as well (element vars of mapframe1)
addWMSfromList (there must be a more elegant solution than storing these
WMS locally. They are possibly out of date)

This leaves us with 59 elements. We almost got rid of 1/3 of the 86
elements we started with!

Here are the remaining modules.

Essential:
#body (idea: the application should work without a body element)
#mapframe1

Trivial, non-map:
#showLoggedUser
#imprint
#copyright
#logo
#logout
#mapbender
#changePassword_button
#help
#switchLocale_noreload
#tabs
#dependentDiv

Trivial, map:
#back
#forward
#center1
#pan1
#selArea1
#sandclock
#resizeMapsize
#zoomFull
#zoomIn1
#zoomOut1
#zoomCoords
#scalebar
#navFrame
#repaint
#metadata
#addWMS
#dragMapSize
#meetingPoint (should be img plus popup, not an iframe)

Complex, map:
#legend
#overview
#treeGDE
#addWMSfromfilteredList_ajax
#changeEPSG
#measure
# closePolygon
# rubber
# getArea
#featureInfo1
#FeatureInfoRedirect
#featureInfoTunnel
#gazetteerMetadata
#gazetteerWFS
#loadwmc
#printPDF
#savewmc
#scaleSelect
#scaleText
#showCoords_div
#digitize
#wfs_conf
#wfs
#setSpatialRequest
#wfs_gazetteer
#dynamicOverview

(Hmm...I must have lost two modules on the way...the numbers don't add
up. Another proof that we have too many modules)

These modules should also be examined, as there is room for optimization.
* We could for example create a single configurable featureInfo module.
* The WFS related modules badly need to be reviewed. I guess we can
remove at least two modules there.
* closePolygon, Rubber and GetArea could be united with measure

Most application elements do not have the correct data in the 'required'
field. Most elements require 'mapframe1' however it is not listed under
'required'. We should also check if these dependencies are fulfilled.
This check would be done when the application has been changed, and on
start-up. The application should not break, an error message should appear.

In the long run we should have an online repository of application
elements, so we do not have to ship any application at all, except and
initial admin application, which is accessing the repository. The
repository could also contain applications which could be downloaded as
well. You could also upload your own application elements or
applications. By this we would have a central Mapbender marketplace. I
don't think it's too hard to achieve. It's just a matter if we want to
go in this direction. Maybe a topic for the dev-sprint in January

Where2B-Konferenz
Die Geo-IT Konferenz der WhereGroup
vom 9.-10. Dezember 2008 in Bonn
Web: www.where2b-conference.com