[Mapbender-dev] Motion to change terminology: 'Application'instead of 'GUI'

Christoph Baudson christoph.baudson at wheregroup.com
Tue Feb 26 03:44:06 EST 2008

Michael Schulz schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> maybe we can use the term "application" for the GUIs, that are really
> GUIs, with gui_elements, assigned wms, mapframe, additional
> functionality like digitizing, etc.
>
> Other "GUIs" like administration GUIs and WMS-Containers should then
> be addressed with a different term. If we want to find one name for
> three different things it will be hard not to end up with Uli's
> suggestion.

If we want to find a name that fits all three use cases, I guess we will
go nowhere.

In my opinion a map GUI is an application, an administration GUI is an
application too: A GUI groups functionality (gui_elements) that can be
applied on data (WMS, WFS, Mapbender data like rights management etc).
That's an application alright.

A WMS container is definitely not an application, as it has no
functionality. Maybe it is best modelled another way, by context
documents for example.

The whole WMS management seems a bit quirky right now and the best
solution imho is to ignore the fact that a WMS container is a GUI too at
this moment.

So a WMS container would simply go from not being a GUI to not being an
application ;-)