[Mapbender-dev] Motion to change terminology: 'Application'instead of 'GUI'

Christoph Baudson christoph.baudson at wheregroup.com
Tue Feb 26 04:13:02 EST 2008

Marc Jansen schrieb:
> Hi list,
>
> [...]
>>
>> Hi,
>> currently the vote count is four +1, one +0, one 0 and one abstain
>> (Uli did not vote and only commented). This is enough to carry the
>> motion but we are in no hurry.
>> There were some comments that "application" might not be the best
>> term but no alternative was given. If you have another idea, please
>> suggest it (except EWS).
>> Best regards, Arnulf. _______________________________________________
>> Mapbender_dev mailing list
>> Mapbender_dev at lists.osgeo.org
>>

> Just as a quick thought: what about 'interface' instead of 'gui' and
> instead of 'application'?
>
> It would fit for the presented stuff... (admin_guis and WMS-containers
> for continents) comments?
>
> Mapbender would then manage interfacees (sometimes for users,
> sometimes with a graphical emphasis). The GU from gui simply would be
> dropped. I could arrange myself with both 'application' and  'interface'.

Although interface describes all the three cases, it is in my opinion
only the lowest common denominator and does say little about the nature
of it. I'm afraid persons without Mapbender knowledge will not get
'interface' just as they don't get 'GUI'.

Previously I wondered if 'view' or 'perspective' or even 'project'
(Eclipse-terms) would be good suggestions, but I discarded these for the
same reason.

Users want to build applications with Mapbender, why not let them do it.