[Mapbender-dev] Discussion: Character sets (client encoding)

Michael Schulz mschulz at webgis.de
Wed Jul 16 11:22:52 EDT 2008

Christoph,

I think that makes perfect sense. This would mean no UTF-8/ISO
decision in mapbender.conf, no two data sqls...

It'll only require to set the webservers character set to UTF8 also?
Could this be a potential problem, e.g. with other software running on
the same server?

Just playing devil's advocat, I think we'll eliminate a lot of
problmes with that.

Cheers, Michael

2008/7/16 Christoph Baudson <christoph.baudson at wheregroup.com>:
> Arnulf Christl schrieb:
>>
>> Christoph Baudson wrote:
>>>
>>> This is a proposal to serve UTF-8 encoded HTML pages only. In my opinion
>>> there is no need to serve ISO-8859-1 pages.
>>>
>>> All character set conversions (when interacting with a database) could be
>>> done in PHP. So the architecture would change from
>>>
>>> client: ISO/UTF8
>>> server: UTF8
>>> database: ISO/UTF8

>>> client: ISO/UTF8
>>> server: UTF8
>>> database: ISO/UTF8
>>>
>>> This will simplify things a lot and would make Mapbender less
>>> error-prone. If anyone has any reason why we should still serve ISO pages,
>>> please step up. I have no idea why we should.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Christoph
>>
>> You confuse me, I cannot see the difference?
>
> neither do I.
>
> Here's what I meant
>
> client: UTF8
> server: UTF8