[Mapbender-dev] application types

Christoph Baudson christoph.baudson at wheregroup.com
Fri Mar 14 08:58:22 EDT 2008

At the moment, we have three types of applications (a.k.a. GUIs).

Map applications
Admin applications
Service containers

Do we need to add a database field to distinguish the three? For
example, loadWMSFromFilteredList also lists admin applications, although
they don't contain any WMS. How about a column "gui_type", or "gui_tag"
or "gui_keywords"?

Maybe we could go one step further, and tag modules. I would consider
this a better idea, as an application is nothing without modules (if you
tag an application "admin", and replace all the admin modules by map
modules, it's no longer an "admin" application). So if a GUI contains a
map, it must be a map application, or if it contains admin modules, it
must be an admin application.

An application could then inherit the tags of services and modules
dynamically.

Please help us finding a good solution.

Cheers, Christoph