[Mapbender-dev] Discussion: Administration modules

Len Kne knex0001 at umn.edu
Tue May 27 17:28:43 EDT 2008

Greetings

Sorry upfront for the long, but hopefully not rambling email.  Christoph's
comments, along with the last couple IRC meetings and possible (pending)
changes to elements/gui_elements have clarified my thinking.

First, some background on my perspective of Mapbender.  I've been a
Mapbender users since March 2007 while working on a project that is bring
mapping and GIS to K-16 education (maps.umn.edu).  I work with Eco
Education, a non-profit group which helps students explore their local
environment.  Eco Ed provides the curriculum, I provide the mapping tools
(Mapbender/MapServer/Postgres/PostGIS).  We also have three freshman level
classes at the University using Mapbender to varying degrees.  All told, we
have about 10 Mapbender applications currently being used.  I am the "über"
admin, but there is a person at Eco Education who does a fair amount of
administration as well.

One of the ideas for the administration modules I have been suggesting is a
single hierarchical admin module.  Focusing on the hierarchical aspect
first, I offer this example.  In my implementation of Mapbender, we have
many teachers who would like to do some of their own customization of the
application we give them.  For example, they may want to change the body or
imprint colors, turn specific modules on/off, or change some of the WMS
parameters for their application.  Of course the teachers are not using this
terminology, they are thinking colors, tools, and maps.

So by hierarchical, there would be a simple admin module (this would be a
new module) that could handle some of the simple tasks.  From this simple
admin module, there would be access to more in-depth admin functions.  Back
to the teacher example, most teachers would not go past this initial admin
screen, but some would go deeper and get into the guts of Mapbender.  Using
a tree structure to allow people to easily get into admin modules and give
the impression of a single admin module, while using all of the core admin
modules currently developed (with improvements on validation, CSS, and uses
of classes).

One question I will throw out is who is the audience of the admin modules?
Is it someone with web mapping skills, a programmer or a novice user?  Does
the administrator manage many applications or just a couple?  How many users
and groups?  (During the IRC, SEVEN mentioned that there are Mapbender
installations with over a 1000 users, wow)

Currently mb_listGUIs is the starting point which lists all of the
applications.  One idea would be instead of listing the applications,
present a tree with different admin functions, as well as the available
applications (see the attached conceptual diagram).  As an admin moves
through the tree, they will get to the appropriate set of admin modules.
The current model of assigning user rights by application would still be
followed.

I like Christoph's idea of adding the field isTemplate to GUI, this would be
helpful.  Another thought would be a field gui_type which would specify if
it was an application, admin module, template, or WMS container.  This would
give options for hiding non-mapping applications from the average user.

Thanks for your feedback

Len