[Mapbender-dev] Relation map object / wms object

Michael Schulz mschulz at webgis.de
Wed May 28 04:08:13 EDT 2008

Hi Christoph,

> I believe the administration tool does not have to be altered. Maybe I have
> to explain the background of my previous post: I'm working on web map
> context documents, which store the layers of the client in an XML document.
> When I'm representing both map frames (plus their layer settings) in the WMC
> document, I have no way of finding out the layer settings of the overview.
> The default settings are overwritten by changes made to the main map.
> Example: Assume a WMS is available in both overview and the main map. Then
> hide layers of that WMS via the treeGDE module.

Just to be curious, does the wmc spec have an option to store
information about an overview? I thought this is merely a flat list of
layers ...
Although you could put together a context collection with one wmc for
each mapobject. In that case you are right, wms setting changes
shouldn't cross map object scopes.

> Other solutions could be discussed, like
>
> * reload the default settings from the database
> * always show all layers of the overview WMS

For me, a wmc makes sense if it stores the current layer settings, not
some initial default, but presumably you have a special focus.

> but both solutions don't seem elegant to me, especially if you imagine
> having 7 maps and 3 overviews in one applications.

wow, i'd like to see that one ... ;-)

Michael

> I believe when Mapbender had been designed it was not intended to ever do
> sth. with the overview window after its instantiation, so then it made
> perfect sense. Now, we need more.
>
>> Cheers, Michael
>>

>>> Please enlighten me if you have an explanation why the current solution
>>> is
>>> superior.
>>>
>>> Christoph
>>>
>>> --