[Mapbender-dev] Public access to Mapbender

Christoph Baudson christoph.baudson at wheregroup.com
Tue Jun 2 03:35:11 EDT 2009

In the past I have experienced a lot of trouble with demo applications
that are made public via a user like "demo" and a similar password.

The most annoying problem is, that the account can be disabled by trying
to log in several times with a wrong password. How about this
workaround: if the login_count is set to -1 by the owner, the
login_count would never be incremented in the first place, thus never
disabling the account. This would be a quick fix.

A more generic solution could include a new column in mb_user, with a
"public" flag. If this flag was set, you could log in no matter what
password you supplied (I think it's counter-intuitive to have a password
for a public user). Maybe Mapbender should be delivered with a default
public user, to encourage the usage.

A less significant problem is, that you do not know if there are any
"public" users in a Mapbender installation. You always have to try
"demo", "guest", "gast", "anonymous" etc. if there is no documentation.
Maybe the Mapbender server should have this as an API function, or we
could include it in the portal site.

We should think of a solution, as most installations offer this kind of
public access.

W h e r e G r o u p GmbH & Co. KG

Christoph Baudson
Anwendungsentwickler