[Mapbender_dev] DOCTYPE, reset CSS

Christoph Baudson (Wheregroup) christoph.baudson at wheregroup.com
Wed Aug 4 06:29:42 EDT 2010

Hello devs,

Mapbender shall deliver standardized HTML, so I recently added a correct
DOCTYPE to index.php in trunk. The current DOCTYPE is

"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">

We should aim for "strict" instead of "loose" soon, but I think we
should not make things harder for us than necessary, so I will settle
with "loose" for now.

Adding this doctype led to a lot of problems. I fixed all problems I
came across, but there are still some minor open issues (I used the W3C
validator).

One big issue was the jQuery Layout plugin, which needs a specific CSS
so the panes are displayed correctly.

html, body {
    width: 100%;
    height: 100%;
    padding: 0;
    margin: 0;
}

I put this code in http/css/reset.css, and included it hardwired in
index.php, so it will always be loaded. I'm not sure if that's what
mapbender.css was about, and it could have been put there. This reset
CSS could be expanded with other settings in the future.

Please comment,

FOSS4G 2010
06.-09. September 2010 in Barcelona
http://2010.foss4g.org