[Mapbender_dev] Making WMS titles editable

Astrid Emde astrid.emde at wheregroup.com
Fri Aug 13 08:22:41 EDT 2010

Hello Christoph,

On Wed, August 11, 2010 10:02 am, Christoph Baudson (Wheregroup) wrote:
> In GUI WMS settings there is an input field for layer titles, but it
> isn't used. I have made some changes [1] that would let the administrator
> set the layer titles for each application. I think this is a useful
> feature.

This sounds very good. It is important that the layer_title has to be
editable for each application. And that is what you did.

Lot of people asked for this feature befor. Maybe someone wants to sponsor
it?

> However, I wonder how to deal with the WMS title and the title of the
> root layer. Currently, the WMS title is used in treeGDE, as well as in the
> WMC. In my implementation, the title of the root layer is used.
> Basically, it comes down to three scenarios

Please take the title of the root layer for treeGDE. The WMS title can be
something like "OGC-WMS".
So it is better to take the title of the root layer.

> 1) Always use WMS title
> 2) Always use root layer title
> 3) usage is context sensitive

> Following Murphy's Law, I think the third scenario applies. When should
> the WMS title be used, when the root layer title? I'm puzzled and need
> input. I'm fine with my current implementation, please let me know if you
> have a scenario where this behaviour is harmful. Otherwise I will leave it
> this way.

Maybe you are right with 3)

We use the WMS Title in the application WMS setting and update WMS, delete
WMS. Maybe it makes sense to display both title - WMS title and root layer
title if they are different.

Best regard

Astrid

> Thanks for your input,
>

> Christoph
>

> [1] http://trac.osgeo.org/mapbender/ticket/675
>

> --

> FOSS4G 2010
> 06.-09. September 2010 in Barcelona
> http://2010.foss4g.org
>

> ----------------------------------
>

> Aufwind durch Wissen!
>

> Qualifizierte OpenSource-Schulungen
> bei der www.foss-academy.eu
>
> ----------------------------------
>

> _______________________________________
>

> W h e r e G r o u p GmbH & Co. KG
>

> Siemensstraße 8
> 53121 Bonn
> Germany
>

> Christoph Baudson
> Anwendungsentwickler
>

> Fon: +49 (0)228 / 90 90 38 - 15
> Fax: +49 (0)228 / 90 90 38 - 11
> christoph.baudson at wheregroup.com www.wheregroup.com Amtsgericht Bonn, HRA
> 6788
> _______________________________________
>

> Komplementärin:
> WhereGroup Verwaltungs GmbH
> vertreten durch: Olaf Knopp, Peter Stamm

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Astrid Emde

FOSS4G 2010
6.-9. September 2010 in Barcelona